If you think someone you know is having their freedom of speech restricted, or they have been prevented from expressing themselves freely in some way, there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.

Further details on what Freedom of Speech means are set out in our “What is Freedom of Speech?” support article.


Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 

Find a safe space.  If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn't possible and you are scared or fearful you can call Security on 0121 331 6969 when on campus. 


To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 

The University Mental Health & Wellbeing Team has trained student advisors on site Monday to Friday. You can contact the team by calling 0121 331 5188 or emailing them at wellbeing@bcu.ac.uk. 

If you are staff member, you may wish to contact a HR advisor to talk through options and get some advice. 


Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can submit a report with your contact details. If you choose to report with contact details, an advisor will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. You can report an incident no matter where it took place.

Student Governance (students) or HR (staff members). If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff, there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.

Get Support 

  • Staff members can contact the BCU Employee Assistance Programme
  • Students can contact the Mental Health & Wellbeing team. Support is available to all students from wellbeing advisors, mental health advisors and counsellors. 
  • Call the Samaritans Helpline on 116 123 (open 24/7, 365 days a year)
  • BCU’s wellbeing app is an online support service that can be accessed by BCU students and staff for free. There are self-help resources and information on anxiety, stress, managing emotions and building confidence readily available. 
  • Look at the NHS guidance on 5 steps to positive mental wellbeing.
  • Access some self-help resources available on iCity. 
  • Take care of yourself. It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, seek help and support from one of the above services. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened