What support is available if I’ve been sexually assaulted? 

If you think you or someone you know is being sexually assaulted there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  
For students 
  • Speak to someone from your school or faculty. If you are a student you can talk to your personal tutor, or a student success adviser for your faculty. 
  • BCU Mental Health & Wellbeing Team. This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. There is also a free counselling service for all students. If you're not sure where to go, this is a good place to start. Call or complete a form by following the link and you will be offered an appointment. 
  • BCU Student Union Advice Centre. This is a free confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings.  
  • Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances. 
For staff 
  • Contact Human Resources. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you. 
  • Employee Assistance Programme.As a staff member at BCU, you can utilise the EAP by following the link for more information. 
  • BCU Dignity at Work Advisors. BCU has developed a Dignity at Work scheme which is run by staff who volunteer to be advisors alongside their usual job role. If you feel you are experiencing any bullying or harassment, you can contact one of the advisors to talk this through. You can find more information about this, along with a list of the names and numbers of advisors by following the link. 
  • Trade Unions. If you are a member of a trade union, you may be able to access further support by getting in touch with them directly. 
  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team. The team provides advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to academic advisors and other staff in student-supporting roles. 
Further sources of support 
  • Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs): ISVAs are trained to look after the needs of a survivor of rape or sexual violence to ensure they receive the best possible care and understanding. Contact them and ask to speak to an advisor in confidence. ISVAs are there to provide information to ensure an individual can make a decision that is right for them. ISVAs are available to support you at the Rape & Sexual Violence Project
  • Rape Crisis is a confidential support service run by women for women and girls who have been raped or sexually abused. 
  • The Survivors Trust provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past. 
  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and queer people affected by sexual violence. 
  • The National Stalking Helpline can give you information and advice on support and options available to you. 
  • Women’s Aid provides a range of services for people experiencing domestic violence including helpline, IDVA, outreach, and refuge. 
  • MALE is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse. 
  • BCU’s wellbeing app is an online support service that can be accessed by BCU students and staff for free. There are self-help resources and information on anxiety, stress, managing emotions and building confidence readily available. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened