If you think your freedom of speech has been restricted or you have been prevented from expressing yourself freely in some way, there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff. 

For students

  • Speak to someone from your college or faculty. If you are a student, you can talk to your personal tutor or course leader. 
  • BCU Mental Health & Wellbeing Team. This University service offers support and advice on issues affecting your student life, with signposting and referral to more specialist services. There is also a free counselling service for all students. If you're not sure where to go, this is a good place to start. Call or complete a form by following the link and you will be offered an appointment. 
  • BCU Students’ Union Advice Centre. This is a free, confidential, impartial service where students can get advice and information on academic and personal issues, including advice on procedures and representation at hearings.  
  • Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened, you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances. 

For staff 

  • Contact Human Resources. If you are a member of staff or manager, your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you. 
  • Trade Unions. If you are a member of a trade union, you may be able to access further support by getting in touch with them directly. 
  • Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Team. The team provides advice, support and guidance on equality, diversity and inclusion related issues to academic advisors and other staff in student-supporting roles. 

Other sources of support 

  • Amnesty provides information on freedom of expression.
  • Free Speech Union provide information on freedom of speech, freedom of expression, academic freedom, freedom of the press and freedom of religion. They provide support for people looking for information or guidance. 
  • English Pen provides information on free speech in the UK.
  • Liberty provides information on freedom of expression. 

If you would like to submit information on a support service you think might help others, please contact us.  


There are two ways you can tell us what happened